Thursday 8 April 2010

Moroccan wine

Lack of activity on here recently as I've been away on holiday.

Anyway, before I get on to other matters, I want to mention the Moroccan wine we drank on Easter Monday. On a visit to see my 22-month old goddaughter in Bellach near Solothurn, we were treated to this unusual red over dinner by my Swiss cousin Iris who had recently visited Morocco on holiday.

CB Initiales 2005, Thalvin au Domaine des Ouled Thaleb, Benslimane, Morocco
Us five adults (Jenny, me, my aunt, uncle and cousin Iris) had drunk a nice bottle of Italian wine earlier on during the meal. Relieved of pouring duties and still in the middle of eating, I was initially unaware that this next bottle was from Morocco. I first thought it was probably from Spain, judging by its style. With plenty of inky berry fruit and a touch of dried fruit, this had good deal of complexity to hold one's interest. A suggestion of vanilla and slight confectionery note also maybe hinted at somewhere in the New World such as California. Hence, I was more than a bit surprised when I finally saw the label. Totally off my wine radar and quite a discovery. This was a very attractive wine which went down a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment